“A whole generation of young people are giving up hope of ever finding an affordable place to call home, that’s why an innovative housing solution is urgently needed. “
News from the Ontario Green Party
Posted May 26th, 2022 on Niagara At Large
We want change, right in our own backyards
WE WANT TO SAY YES.
Ontario Greens want to say yes to communities where it’s easy and affordable to find a place to live.
We want to say yes to increasing the supply of homes so young people can have a chance at finding a place to call home. We want to say yes to this and more in our backyard.
That’s why yesterday Ontario Greens leader Mike Schreiner announced the YIMBY (“Yes in My Backyard”) Housing Strategy.
A whole generation of young people are giving up hope of ever finding an affordable place to call home, that’s why an innovative housing solution is urgently needed.
WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL HELP TO GET MORE GREENS TO QUEEN’S PARK SO WE CANIMPLEMENT OUR YIMBY HOUSING STRATEGY AND MAKE ONTARIO A MORE AFFORDABLE PLACE TO LIVE.
EVERYONE DESERVES AN AFFORDABLE PLACE TO LIVE.
The Ontario Greens strategy will creatively make use of existing space in built-up areas to significantly increase the supply of homes by 1.5 million over the next 10 years.
Under the YIMBY Housing Strategy, Ontario Greens will:
* EXPAND AS-OF-RIGHT ZONING to allow fourplexes, triplexes and duplexes in all neighbourhoods.
* Incentivize and FAST-TRACK APPLICATIONS FOR SECONDARY SUITES like basement apartments and laneway houses.
* Pre-zone for MID-RISE DEVELOPMENTS ON TRANSIT CORRIDORS and main streets to get projects moving faster and reduce building costs.
* Support municipalities to safely BUILD AFFORDABLE HOUSING ON PREVIOUSLY INDUSTRIAL SITES in existing neighbourhoods by reinstating the provincial brownfield remediation fund, and build on top of commercial spaces, transit stations and vacant parking lots.
* LAUNCH A PROVINCE-WIDE “YES IN MY BACKYARD” INITIATIVE to address NIMBY-ism and raise awareness on the benefits of infill missing middle, mid-rise and community housing developments in existing neighbourhoods.
By saying yes to building up housing in our existing neighbourhoods, we’re creating sustainable, affordable housing without increasing sprawl.
YOUR IMMEDIATE DONATION IS CRUCIAL TO HELPING US MAKE OUR VISION FOR
AFFORDABLE HOUSING A REALITY. SAY YES TO DONATING TODAY. 
Under Doug Ford housing prices have skyrocketed. The average time to save for a downpayment on a home in Ontario is now more than 10 years and rent prices are out of control.
Ford’s climate-polluting sprawl agenda will only make the housing affordability crisis worse. People don’t want to be trapped in long, soul crushing commutes. We need to tell Ford to take his 1950’s ideas and go home.
NIAGARA AT LARGE Encourages You To Join The Conversation By Sharing Your Views On This Post In The Space Following The Bernie Sanders Quote Below.