Ford’s “Government for the People” Cuts Supports Working To Stop Violence Against Women

Ford froze funding increases to Sexual Assault Centres and dissolved the Roundtable on Violence Against Women

A News Release from Ontario’s New Democratic Party

Posted October 18th, 2018 on Niagara At Large

QUEEN’S PARK – Ontario was not doing enough to end gender-based violence, but the Doug Ford government has cut those efforts even more by dissolving Ontario’s Provincial Roundtable on Violence against Women and refusing to flow funding increases to Sexual Assault Centres promised under the Gender Based Violence plan.

NDP Women’s Issues Critic Suze Morrison says that the Ford Conservatives must do better.

“The Hamilton Sexual Assault Centre has seen a 100 per cent increase in calls to their crisis line over the past three years. Their waitlist for counselling is now seven months long,” said Morrison. Continue reading

Advertisements

Niagara Regon Group Working On Suicide Prevention Measures

Actions and outcomes from working group meeting on suicide prevention and mental health

News form Niagara’s Regional Government

Posted October 18th, 2018 on Niagara At Large

As one suicide prevention measure, Niagara Region is installing help line signage around Burgoyne Bridge in St. Catharines. Region says more measures are on the way.

Niagara, Ontario – On Wednesday, Oct. 17, members of Niagara Region’s newly formed suicide prevention working group met to further explore preventative actions to respond to recent suicide-related deaths and the broader issue of suicide prevention in Niagara.

This follow-up to last week’s discussion included representatives from Niagara Region, Niagara Region Public Health, City of St. Catharines, Niagara Emergency Medical Services (EMS), Niagara Regional Police Service (NRPS), Niagara Suicide Prevention Coalition (NSPC) and Niagara Health. Continue reading

Ford’s “Government for the People” cuts Parents Reaching Out Grants, causing deep damage to Ontario communities

The funding helps support parent engagement in schools that do not otherwise have community support, or where language, socio-economic and geographic barriers come between parents and their children’s education

A News Release from Ontario’s New Democratic Party

Posted October 18th, 2018 on Niagara At Large

QUEEN’S PARK – Doug Ford’s cuts to education includes parent council programs like the one that helped parents navigate digital safety with their kids.

And the cuts just keep on coming

For the second day in a row, Ford’s dducation minister refused to explain why Ford has cut the Parents Reaching Out Grants for 2018-19, or why parents were not notified about the decision.

And parent workshops focused on mental, physical and sexual health, a school event on boosting participation in STEM, and resources for parents of children with special needs are just a few of the hundreds of parent engagement events that have hit Ford’s chopping block. Continue reading

With Six Seats in the Mix, St. Catharines Voters Can Play a Major Role In Cleaning Up the Mess at Niagara Region

This Monday, October 22nd, Let the Clean Up Begin by Firing Caslin & Timms, and Hiring A Mix of Incumbents and New Faces on the Region’s Council

A Commentary by Niagara At Large reporter and publisher           Doug Draper

Posted October 18th, 2018 on Niagara At Large

In the days leading up to this coming Monday’s  municipal elections, I have never encountered  more of a “throw the bums out” mentality among voters than I have this time around – especially when it comes to Niagara’s regional council.

It is time to get more people with integrity in this building. These municipal elections are our best chance to do it. Vote for your future in Niagara this Monday, October 22nd.

That mentality is driven by a good deal of anger over what people have been hearing and reading around the CAO hiring issue and other controversies at the regional council level. And it makes more sense when it comes to the incumbent regional council candidates running in some Niagara municipalities more than others.

When it comes to the extraordinarily large slate of regional council candidates in St. Catharines  – more than 20 in all, running for six of the Region’s 31 seats (not including the regional chair’s) – Niagara At Large believes that voting all of the incumbents out would be a huge mistake. Continue reading

Ford Announces New Chapter in Ontario’s Relationship with the United States

Premier Doug Ford will appoint Ian Todd as Ontario’s Trade Representative to the United States in Washington, D.C.

News from the Office of Ontario Premier Doug Ford

Posted October 18th, 2018 on Niagara At Large

The Peace Bridge – a major gateway for trade between Ontario and many points in the U.S.

Queen’s Park, Ontario — Today, Premier Doug Ford announced that Ontario’s Government for the People is marking a new chapter in the province’s relationship with the United States.

“I am pleased that we are beginning a new chapter in Ontario’s long relationship with the United States. I am so happy to announce that we intend to appoint Ian Todd to be Ontario’s Trade Representative in Washington,” said Ford.

“In the new era of USMCA, we need someone who is strategically minded, has extensive government experience, and will put Ontario’s interests first. Todd is well suited to promote Ontario’s diversity and diverse economy.” Continue reading

Ontario Conservative Gravy Train – Former Tory Leader Patrick Brown Blew $300K In Two Months

Former Ontario PC leader Patrick Brown

“There’s a culture at the top of the Conservative party that’s troubling. ,… We’ve seen Ford appoint his friends and insiders to cushy gigs that come with gigantic public paycheques. And now we have serious questions about how Brown spent so much, so quickly.” – Ontario NDP MPP Taras Natyshak

A News Release from Ontario’s New Democratic Party

Posted October 18th, 2018 on Niagara At Large

QUEEN’S PARK – Former Conservative Leader Patrick Brown has to explain how he blew through nearly $300,000 in public money in just two months, said NDP MPP Taras Natyshak.

“Conservative party insiders get paid, and Ontario people pay for it,” said Natyshak. “Mr. Brown needs to come clean and explain where this money went.” Continue reading

Here’s Hoping for a Big Win-Win for Dave Augustyn and Diana Huson in Pelham

… And a Well-Deserved Trouncing in the Polls for Regional Council Incumbent Brian Baty

A Commentary by Niagara At Large reporter and publisher Doug Draper

Posted October 17th, 2018 on Niagara At Large

Pelham Mayor Dave Augustyn with former Niagara Regional chair Debbie Zimmerman this past July, after Augustyn announced his plans to run for Niagara Regional Chair in the October 22nd elections. Thanks to Ford cancelling the regional chair elections, he is now running in Pelham for a seat on the regional council. File photo by Doug Draper

One bright, sunny morning this past July, things finally seemed to be looking ups for people dreaming for an end of the four-year nightmare at Niagara regional council.

At a Tim Horton’s diner in Pelham, packed with friends and supporters, the town’s mayor, Dave Augustyn, did what so many hoped he would do and announced his plans to run in what was still on the books then – a region-wide race for Chair of the Region’s council.

At the time Augustyn made his announcement, a race for the Chair’s seat was already shaping up between him, the seat’s current holder, Al Caslin, former Welland mayor Damian Goulbourne and Niagara Falls resident John “Ringo” Beam. And given all of the controversy swirling around Caslin, the hiring of the Region’s CAO and related matters, it looked like Augustyn might have a pretty good shot at campaigning his way to a winning finish in this October 22nd municipal elections.

Shortly after Augustyn made his announcement, Pelham resident Diana Huson announced her plans to run for the town’s only directly elected seat on regional council, now held by Brian Baty. Continue reading