“NRH is committed to continuing to provide affordable, accessible and quality housing for all Niagara residents.” Henry D’Angela, Thorold regional councillor and Niagara Regional Housing board Chair
See Highlights below of NRH’s Second Quarterly Report for 2018
News from Niagara Regional Housing (NRH) in Niagara, Ontario
Posted October 10th, 2018 on Niagara At Large
NIAGARA REGION – The Niagara Regional Housing (NRH) Board of Directors approved the second Quarterly Report for April to June 2018. This report provides updates on NRH programs and services.
“As the number of households waiting for affordable housing steadily increases, it’s important to note the many initiatives that NRH has undertaken that help to address this issue”, said NRH board Chair Henry D’Angela, “NRH is committed to continuing to provide affordable, accessible and quality housing for all Niagara residents.”
The Quarterly Report for April to June 2018 shows that:
- 128 households were housed from the Centralized Waiting List The number of Rent Supplement/Housing Allowance units has gone up to 1,324 (a 27% increase from the same time last year)
- $1,126,300 was received for the Niagara Renovates program (homeowner, secondary suite and multi-unit repairs). This program helps homeowners with repairs and accessibility modifications and increases the supply of affordable rental housing.
- Nine homeowners received assistance to purchase their own home through the Welcome Home Niagara program. This program helps households (including NRH tenants) move out of rental units, thus freeing up these units for those in greater need. It also helps households on the cusp of homeownership invest in their future and experience the pride of ownership.
- The number of Housing First units has gone up to 170 (a 25% increase from the same time last year) and 14 individuals/families were housed. The Housing First program helps people move quickly from homelessness to their own home by providing supports to help difficult to house individuals find and keep housing.
- Two new development projects that will increase affordable housing stock are in progress
Reports are located at http://nrh.ca/about/reports.shtml .
A Brief Footnote from Niagara At Large reporter and publisher Doug Draper-
Henry D’Angela is running as a candidate for Thorold mayor in the October 22nd municipal elections and has been one of a handful of regional councillors over the past four hears who has stool up against the Al Caslin cabal at the regional council level.
If you are a voter in Niagara municipality of Thorold, please consider giving him your support.
NIAGARA AT LARGE encourages you to join the conversation by sharing your views on this post in the space following the Bernie Sanders quote below.
A reminder that we only post comments by individuals who also share their first and last names.
For more news and commentary from Niagara At Large – an independent, alternative voice for our greater bi-national Niagara region – become a regular visitor and subscriber to NAL at www.niagaraatlarge.com .
“A politician thinks of the next election. A leader thinks of the next generation.” – Bernie Sanders