Don’t Miss This – Tonight, Wednesday October 10th, 2018, 8-9:30 p.m. at the St. Catharines Central Library in Downtown St. Catharines
Protecting the Great Lakes with John Jackson
An Invite to All from the Niagara District Council of Women
Posted October 2nd, 2018 on Niagara At Large
The Niagara District Council of Women will be hosting a public forum, Protecting the Great Lakes, on Wednesday, October 10 from 8:00 to 9:30 pm at the St. Catharines Central Library, on 54 Church St. in the city’s downtown.
Our guest speaker for this public forum is John Jackson, Great Lakes Expert and former President of Great Lakes United. “Together, we need to work to protect the world’s largest freshwater ecosystem.”
John Jackson is a passionate leader who has been tirelessly advancing public engagement throughout the Great Lakes, combining an extraordinary depth of knowledge about the Great Lakes with passion and a strategic vision for binational collaboration. He has a remarkable ability to influence Great Lakes policies and issues.
Some issues that John will discuss are:
- Massive levels of recycling are being touted as the solution to plastics contamination in the Great Lakes. But does this simply spread toxics ever further? How do we get out of this recycling enigma?
- Nuclear power plants are being closed or will eventually be closed all around the Great Lakes (except Lake Superior). What is the radioactive legacy that these toxic hulks leave around the Great Lakes? The new era of nuclear power in the Great Lakes basin? Small size units scattered across the basin? And/or nuclear power units floating on the Great Lakes near major power users?
- Continued concerns regarding invasive species in the Great Lakes
- Urban and agricultural runoff as the most significant source of pollution in the Great Lakes
- Working bi-nationally on the Great Lakes in the era of Trump
John dedicates his time to Great Lakes issues, with a focus on the Great Lakes Water Quality Agreement and engaging stakeholders and the public in caring for our shared waters.
The Niagara District Council of Women (NDCW) has 26 federated group members plus individual members from across the Region. This year we celebrate our 100th year of service to the community. In June, we hosted women from across the country at the 125th AGM of the National Council of Women of Canada at Niagara College.
You can learn more about our council, our history and 100th Year Anniversary at www.ndcw.ca
NIAGARA AT LARGE encourages you to join the conversation by sharing your views on this post in the space following the Bernie Sanders quote below.
A reminder that we only post comments by individuals who also share their first and last names.
For more news and commentary from Niagara At Large – an independent, alternative voice for our greater bi-national Niagara region – become a regular visitor and subscriber to NAL at www.niagaraatlarge.com .
“A politician thinks of the next election. A leader thinks of the next generation.” – Bernie Sanders