Deadline for Public Comments on Climate Plan is December 31st, 2019
A Link for a Copy of Niagara Region’s Climate Plan Discussion Paper is Available Below
A Call-Out from Macie Jacklin and Community Voices of Fort Erie, a citizens group now fighting to keep urban development from despoiling one of Niagara, Ontario’s beloved natural heritage sites, Waverly Woods
Posted December 4th, 2019 on Niagara At Large
Niagara residents, there is an opportunity for you to provide feedback on the Niagara Region’s climate change report. This report was prepared as part of the review of the Niagara Region Official Plan.
To read the Climate Change discussion paper, click on – https://www.niagararegion.ca/projects/rural-and-natural-systems/pdf/climate-change-discussion-paper.pdf
This is a great opportunity for the public to show their support for climate change adaptation and mitigation.
I draw your attention to section 5.4 page 29. This may be an opportunity to increase pollution controls, create a fact based Natural Heritage System; stronger protection for endangered species and habitats such as wetlands and an enforceable Tree By-law.
The importance of protecting wetlands, woodlands, to mitigating climate change, flood control and carbon sequestering is critically important. Certainly having professional planning staff with specializations in climate change would be valuable for the community.
The Climate Change Discussion Paper for the new Niagara Official Plan is available for comment until Dec. 31, 2019
The climate change discussion paper explores:
- – Recent research on climate change
- – Impacts in Niagara
- – How land use planning relates to climate change adaptation and mitigation
- – Provincial requirements to integrate climate change into official plans
To provide your comments or feedback on Niagara Region’s Climate Plan Discussion Paper you can forward them by clicking on the following link – https://www.niagararegion.ca/official-plan/provide-feedback.aspx
How can you help Save Waverly Woods?
* Donate to help us cover our legal and expert cost at this link https://www.forterievoices.org/donation or send a donation to Community Voices of Fort Erie, P.O. Box 273, Fort Erie, Ontario L2A 2S0.
All donations go towards our legal and expert costs.
* Share the petition with others https://www.change.org/p/ten-story-condo-going-up-in-waverly-woods Can we get to 5200 signatures by December 1st? An alternative is to join our email BLAST list by sending your email and name to email@example.com
NIAGARA AT LARGE encourages you to join the conversation by sharing your views on this post in the space following the Bernie Sanders quote below.
A reminder that we only post comments by individuals who also share their first and last names.
For more news and commentary from Niagara At Large – an independent, alternative voice for our greater bi-national Niagara region – become a regular visitor and subscriber to NAL at www.niagaraatlarge.com .