Ontario’s NDP Fights Back And Delays Ford’s Bill to Slash Toronto City Council, Cancel Elections for Regional Chair

Ford’s Bill Threatens to Cancel Regional Chair Election in Niagara – a Move at least some call an “Assault on our Democracy”

“Doug Ford is cancelling public hearings on his vindictive law that determines the scope of municipal elections already underway, cuts representation for Torontonians in half, and ends elections for voters who used to decide on their regional chairs.”  – John Vanthof, Ontario NDP MPP. and Chair of the Standing Committee on Government Agencies

News from Ontario’s New Democratic Party

Posted August 13th, 2018 on Niagara At Large

Fighting Ontario Premier Doug Ford’s decision to cancel elections for regional chair, including the election for the regional chair position in Niagara, and to slash size of Toronto city council.

Queen’s Park, Toronto – The NDP has successfully delayed Doug Ford’s draconian bill to slash the number of Toronto City Councillors in half and end regional chair elections already underway.

Fighting back on behalf of the people of Toronto, and the regions where Ford cancelled the election of regional chairs, New Democrat MPPs Gilles Bisson and John Vanthof moved amendments on Ford’s bill after the Ford government cancelled public consultations and cut off legislative debate on Ford’s election-meddling bill.

“We will continue fighting like hell to allow people to have their say in what happens to their local representation,” said Bisson, NDP House Leader who introduced one of two amendments this past Thursday, August 9th.

 “We will do whatever we can to stop Doug Ford from silencing the voices of the people in the middle of an election.”  

The NDP’s amendments to reinstate public hearings has delayed the passing of the election-rigging bill until next week when the government will vote on the last of the NDPs amendments.

 “By delaying Ford’s ant-democratic bill, we want to give the people of Toronto, Peel, York, Niagara, and Muskoka, more time to join the fight against Doug Ford and his attempts to rip away their voices and their power from local decision making,” said Vanthof, who is the Chair of the Standing Committee on Government Agencies.

“Doug Ford is cancelling public hearings on his vindictive law that determines the scope of municipal elections already underway, cuts representation for Torontonians in half, and ends elections for voters who used to decide on their regional chairs.  It’s an abuse of power and the NDP will keep fighting for the rights of all Ontarians to have their say.”

A Footnote from Niagara At Large publisher Doug Draper –

St. Catharines City Council candidate Karrie Porter (centre) with her petition and names on it so far, with Niagara Centre MPP Jeff Burch and St. Catharines MPP Jennie Stevens. The petion calls on Ford to reverse his decision to cancel regional chair elections.

Up to Friday, July 27th, when Ontario’s ‘buck-a-beer’ premier Doug Ford circulated his sudden and shocking decision to cancel elections in Niagara and three other regions in the province for the position of regional chair, Niagara voters had – for the first time in almost five decades – a real race going on for that position. The current regional chair, Al Caslin, was facing at least two formidable challengers in former Welland mayor Damian Goulbourne and Pelham Mayor Dave Augustyn.

Since then, Niagara’s three NDP MPPs, Jennie Stevens for St. Catharines, Wayne Gates for Niagara Falls, and Jeff Burch for Niagara Centre, along with numerous other local politicians and citizens across Niagara, have joined  in condemning this 11th-hour, game-changing decision.

Then, on the very last day for candidates to register to run in this coming October 22nd municipal elections, Ford and his self-described “Government for the People” drop their announcement.

Dave Augustyn, for his part, was able to scramble before the final hour to re-register to run as a regional council candidate in Pelham – thus putting himself in a position, should he win , to put his name in the hat to be appointed by a newly elected council late this year to the regional chair position.

Caslin also managed to get his name in the running for a regional council seat in St. Catharines before the deadline.

Over the past few weeks, Karrie Porter, who is running for the first time for a seat on St. Catharines city council in St. Patrick’s Ward 4, launched a petition, calling on Ford to reverse his government’s decision. That petition, containing names from across the region, was recently delivered to the government by Niagara MPPs Jennie Stevens and  Jeff Burch.

To read two of the  recent Niagara At Large posts on this issue, click onhttps://voiceofniagara.wordpress.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=32848&action=edit .

And ; https://niagaraatlarge.com/2018/07/28/the-bad-news-and-good-news-around-fords-decision-to-unplug-the-election-for-niagara-regional-chair/ .

NIAGARA AT LARGE encourages you to join the conversation by sharing your views on this post in the space following the Bernie Sanders quote below.

A reminder that we only post comments by individuals who also share their first and last names.

For more news and commentary from Niagara At Large – an independent, alternative voice for our greater bi-national Niagara region – become a regular visitor and subscriber to NAL at www.niagaraatlarge.com .

 “A politician thinks of the next election. A leader thinks of the next generation.” – Bernie Sanders

 

Advertisements

One response to “Ontario’s NDP Fights Back And Delays Ford’s Bill to Slash Toronto City Council, Cancel Elections for Regional Chair

  1. The Cries for a “MANDATE” constantly heard from the Corporate owned Media and their two Parties “LIBERAL and CONSERVATIVE” is the CRY for a DICTATORSHIP and CANADA has had this scenario since DAY ONE …..This is what “FIRST PAST THE POST ” and the money of the CORPORATIONS has made to happen in most so called DEMOCRATIC COUNTRIES and the only people to profit has been the RICH…

    In my opinion Government “OF” the People, “BY” the PEOPLE and the real laugh “FOR the PEOPLE is just a false bogus phase used mostly by the rich to disguise their Ownership of the Country and the RIGHTS of the PEOPLE ….the RICH PEOPLE

    Fight all you want the people will not know for like always the Corporate MEDIA keeps your efforts silent…..

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s