It’s Now Official – In Spite of Spike in Drug Overdose Deaths In Niagara, Ford Puts Planned Overdose Prevention Site for St. Catharines on Hold

News from Doug Draper & the Ontario’s Provincial Legislature

Posted August 13th, 2018 on Niagara At Large

It didn’t take long.

Premier Doug Ford and his health minister, Christine Elliott, shelve plan for drug overdose prevention site in St. Catharines/Niagara despite spike in overdose deaths here.

Just  days after St.  Catharines NDP MPP Jennie Stevens and the Niagara city’s mayor, Walter Sendzik, asked Ontario Premier Doug Ford if he “supports a safe injection site for St. Catharines,” and urged him to follow through on former Liberal government plans to set one up, Ford and his Health Minister, Christine Elliott, have announced that they are putting the plan on hold while they “review its merits”

The shelving of this site – the type of which has proven effective in other regions of North America for helping people with drug addictions – follows news from Niagara’s public health department this spring that there has been a 90 per cent spike in drug overdose deaths in Niagara over a one year period in 2016 and 2017.

One Niagara regional councillor, George Marshall from Welland, called the spike in overdose deaths here “staggering “and an epidemic.”

The decision to place moving forward with help centres for this crisis on hold may be good news for Ford supporters who want to see public services slashed to pay for tax cuts, but others are reacting negatively to the news.

“It’s hard to underestimate just how harmful this is,” said James Hutt, an organizer of Overdose Prevention Ottawa where the group had lobbied for an overdose prevention site like the ones planned for St. Catharines, Toronto and Thunder Bay.  “The Conservatives are taking away one of the few resources that are keeping people alive in the middle of a public health emergency.”

The Ontario New Democratic Party circulated the following response earlier this October 13th –

Doug Ford threatens lives by cancelling new overdose prevention sites

Ontaro NDP and Official Opposition Leader Andrea Horwath

QUEEN’S PARK – Official Opposition Leader Andrea Horwath says Doug Ford’s decision to halt the opening of planned overdose prevention sites flies in the face of all advice from experts, community members, and volunteers, and risks the lives of Ontarians struggling with addiction.

“Late on Friday, the government ordered a halt to previously approved overdose prevention sites. The Premier is interfering with local health care experts and front line workers, who have been crystal clear: these sites save lives,” said Horwath.

Doctor David Juurlink, the head of clinical pharmacology and toxicology at the University of Toronto, has said: “These places save lives, connect people to addiction care, reduce the spread of HIV and hepatitis C, and save the health system money. We need more of these sites, not fewer.”

New Democrats have worked with community members and medical experts to support the development and expansion of overdose prevent sites, as an opioid addiction crisis sweeps through communities across the province. Ford’s Conservatives have slashed millions of dollars in funding earmarked for addiction and mental health services, leaving Ontarians struggling to access the services they urgently need.

 “People can’t get treatment if they are dead,” said Horwath.

 “Why is the Premier putting lives at risk? How much more evidence does the Premier need, and how many people will he let die until he is satisfied?”

Here is a story on this issue circulated earlier this August 13th, 2018 on CBC – https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/overdose-prevention-site-ontario-ottawa-1.4782707 .

Niagara At Large also posted a story on this issue earlier this August 13. Click here to readhttps://niagaraatlarge.com/2018/08/13/ontarios-ford-conservatives-backward-priorities-leave-vulnerable-st-catharines-niagara-communities-in-limbo/ .

NIAGARA AT LARGE encourages you to join the conversation by sharing your views on this post in the space following the Bernie Sanders quote below.

A reminder that we only post comments by individuals who also share their first and last names.

For more news and commentary from Niagara At Large – an independent, alternative voice for our greater bi-national Niagara region – become a regular visitor and subscriber to NAL at www.niagaraatlarge.com .

 “A politician thinks of the next election. A leader thinks of the next generation.” – Bernie Sanders

 

Advertisements

One response to “It’s Now Official – In Spite of Spike in Drug Overdose Deaths In Niagara, Ford Puts Planned Overdose Prevention Site for St. Catharines on Hold

  1. Would expect nothing less from Ford, who seems to think that having no supervised overdose prevention sites or injection user supports, that the current increasing supply of “unsupervised” sites and overdoses will stop.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s