See Details Below For Niagara, Ontario Events Scheduled For June 29th and June 30th
Posted June 28th, 2018 on Niagara At Large
Niagara, Ontario – Over a dozen cities across Canada, including St. Catharines and Niagara Falls, are joining 600+ #FamiliesBelongTogether rallies calling for family reunification of children separated from their families, an end to immigration detention and abolition of ICE in the United States.
Rallies in Canada are also calling on Prime Minister Trudeau to condemn US policies in the strongest terms; to end immigration detention and deportation in Canada which also separates families; open the borders to asylum seekers from the United States by revoking the Safe Third Country Agreement and the Designated Country of Origin list; and grant permanent resident status to undocumented and migrant people in Canada.
Of grave concern is state-sanctioned violence both historically and present-day on Indigenous peoples and Black/African diasporic peoples. The practice of family separation by the Canadian government against Indigenous children through residential schools, the 60s scoop and the Millenium scoop.
State-sanctioned family separation on Indigenous and Black/African diasporic peoples by way of CAS disproportionately taking custody of children and criminalization and imprisonment along with the history and the ongoing impact of colonization and slavery in Canada. Full list of demands below.
Niagara Falls / 5PM / Rainbow Bridge
Sonia Hernandez, No One Is Illegal Niagara, 289-990-4519, Patty Krawec, 289-990-4669
St. Catharines / 11:30AM / Harriet Tubman Church followed by march and gathering at Montebello Park
Sonia Hernandez, No One Is Illegal Niagara, 289-990-4519
- Rochelle Bush – Historian from BME Salem Chapel (Harriet Tubman Church)
- Lisa Winter-Card – Immigration & Refugee Lawyer, granddaughter of Holocaust survivors
- Darcy Belanger – community organizer, Sixties Scoop Adoptee
- Sonia Hernandez – Organizer with undocumented workers in the US and migrant workers in Canada
- Patty Krawec – Anti-racism activist, podcaster at Medicine For the Resistance
- others tba
11:30am Gather together at Harriet Tubman Church, Geneva St.
Opening speech by Rochelle Bush, Church Historian, other speeches
12pm March through downtown towards Montebello Park
12:30 to 1:30 Speeches
Family-friendly gathering and round dance
Signing of postcards and petitions
JOINT DEMANDS OF ALL #FAMILIESBELONGTOGETHER ACTIONS IN CANADA
(1) The United States government must end all immigration detention and deportations, reunite families and abolish Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
(2) Canada must –
- Condemn US’s exclusionary, racist and unjust detention and deportation policies in the strongest terms.
- Scrap the Safe Third Country Agreement
- Scrap the Designated Country of Origin list, and end the quota restrictions on refugee claimants and asylum seekers
- End immigration detention and deportation in Canada.
- Grant Permanent Resident Status to all undocumented and migrant people in Canada, including everyone that has crossed over from the United States.
- Reckon with all its historic and current practice of family separation of Indigenous, Black and Brown children from their families through slavery and colonization.
NIAGARA AT LARGE encourages you to join the conversation by sharing your views on this post in the space following the Bernie Sanders quote below.
A reminder that we only post comments by individuals who also share their first and last names.
For more news and commentary from Niagara At Large – an independent, alternative voice for our greater bi-national Niagara region – become a regular visitor and subscriber to NAL at www.niagaraatlarge.com .
“A politician thinks of the next election. A leader thinks of the next generation.” – Bernie Sanders