A Call-Out from the Organizers of the 16th Annual Soup’s ON Fundraiser in Niagara, Ontario
Posted January 11th, 2018 on Niagara At Large
Soup Sampling Serves Up Scholarship
Tickets are going fast for the hottest scholarship event this winter.
The 16th annual Soup’s On luncheon, on Friday, Jan. 26 at St. Kevin’s Parish hall, will feature soup samplings from secondary school and Niagara College culinary programs as well as from Stephanie, The Lunch Lady.
The $10 ticket price for an all-you-can-eat, soup-and-bread meal has not changed since the event began, said organizer Joe Barkovich.
The luncheon will have three sittings at 11 a.m., noon and 1 p.m. in St. Kevin’s parish hall, 303 Niagara St., Welland. The noon sitting is already sold out.
Soup’s On feeds a social justice scholarship fund.
The scholarship is available to graduating students from area high schools active in social service programs who plan to go into community service fields.
At Soup’s On 2018, culinary students and instructors from five high schools, Niagara College and a Welland luncheon business will prepare a variety of samplings.
The soup menu includes:
- Turkey and wild rice by Niagara College’s Canadian Food and Wine Institute;
- Smokey bacon, maple and butternut squash by Blessed Trinity High School in Grimsby;
- Traditional French-Canadian pea soup as well as leak and potato soup by Ecole secondaire Confederation (Confederation Secondary School) in Welland;
- Roasted tomato by Eastdale Secondary School in Welland;
- Butternut squash and pear by Lakeshore Catholic High School in Port Colborne;
- Vietnamese infused broth with braised pork by Notre Dame College School;
- Smokey bean-and-bacon chowder by Stephanie The Lunch Lady.
Tickets are on sale at St. Kevin’s Church office at 303 Niagara Street, Welland. For ticket information call Bernie Barkovich, ticket convener, ticket hotline 905-735-3562.
At Soup’s On 2018, a booklet featuring the soup recipes will be available on request.
In 2017, four students from Blessed Trinity, Lakeshore and Notre Dame were chosen from applicants to received scholarships.
Application forms will be available in high school guidance offices this spring. Scholarship recipients will be announced at graduation ceremonies in June.
NIAGARA AT LARGE encourages you to join the conversation by sharing your views on this post in the space below the Bernie quote.
A reminder that we only post comments by individuals who also share their first and last names.
For more news and commentary from Niagara At Large – an independent, alternative voice for our greater binational Niagara region – become a regular visitor and subscriber to NAL at www.niagaraatlarge.com .
“A politician thinks of the next election. A leader thinks of the next generation.” – Bernie Sanders