Stop Ontario Bill 229 Schedule 6 and Save One of Niagara, Ontario’s Great Pieces of Natural Heritage – Waverly Woods
A Call-Out from Marcie Jacklin and Community Voices of Fort Erie
Posted November 27th, 2020 on Niagara At Large
It seems nature is under threat by the government of the province of Ontario. Please take some time to respond to these initiatives.
Bill 229 Schedule 6
Buried in the (Ford government’s recently tabled) budget bill for the province is Section 6 which threatens to destroy Conservation Authorities by not allowing experts to be on the Board.
The Board would be composed entirely of politicians whose mandate would be to serve their communities (not the mission of the Conservation Authorities).
This is a dream for developers but a disaster for our communities. Basically there would be no protection of water sources, watershed or natural environment.
When we had a Board composed of mostly politicians ten years ago the rumour was that they wanted to sell off Cave Springs Conservation Area for a golf course and St. John’s Conservation Area for a housing development.
And, for instance, if developers built on a wetland, no one will be liable if the residents get wet basements. These are just two examples of what could happen and the communities will no longer have a right to appeal.
1. If you think this is wrong please read and sign the petition at https://ontarionature.org/respect-conservation-authorities/
2. Please also send an email to the members of the Standing Committee on Finance and Economic Affairs (for the province). Here are their emails:
firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, Iarthur-QP@ndp.on.ca, Smamakwa-QP@ndp.on.ca, Sshaw-CO@ndp.on.ca, email@example.com
The message can be as simple as: “I support the important work done by Conservation Authorities to protect people and property from harm and to protect Ontario’s natural assets for current and future generations. Please remove Schedule 6 in its entirety from Bill 229.”
3. You can also send a written submission to the Standing Committee Clerk until 7 p.m. on Wednesday, December 2, 2020:
99 Wellesley Street West
Room 1405, Whitney Block
* Please donate to help us cover our legal and expert costs for Saving Waverly Woods. Go to this link https://www.forterievoices.org/donation or send a donation to Community Voices of Fort Erie, P.O. Box 273, Fort Erie, Ontario L2A 2S0. All donations go towards our legal and expert costs. We require experts to testify at the Hearing in areas like Planning, Ornithology, Wetlands, Hydrology, Military History and Built Heritage.
* Share the petition with others https://www.change.org/p/ten-story-condo-going-up-in-waverly-woods Can we get to 7600 signatures by December 31st? If you prefer not to sign the petition an alternative is to join our email list by sending your email and name to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Marcie Jacklin is an avid, Fort Erie-based birder and president of the community group, Community Voices of Fort Erie(CVFE).
About Community Voices of Fort Erie – Community Voices of Fort Erie is a citizens’ group involved in upholding the community values of Fort Erie, Ridgeway, Crystal Beach, Stevensville, Black Creek, and Douglastown.
The current focus of Community Voices of Fort Erie is on the proposed development of Waverly Woods & Erie Beach. As a group of concerned citizens, we feel it is incredibly important to protect our critical natural and historical resources for the benefit of current and future residents. The maintenance of these resources will ensure that Fort Erie thrives as a place to live, and as a unique destination for visitors to the Niagara Region
For more on Community Voices of Fort Erie, click on – https://www.forterievoices.org/ .
NIAGARA AT LARGE Encourages You To Join The Conversation By Sharing Your Views On This Post In The Space Following The Bernie Sanders Quote Below.