News form the Niagara Health System
Posted September 30th, 2016 on Niagara At Large
(A Brief Foreword Note from Niagara At Large publisher Doug Draper – While NAL is posting this media release from the NHS for our readers’ information, I want stress that editorial, Niagara At Large is opposed to any parking charges at publicly funded hospital.
It is also important to note that the Niagara Health System is not the only body operating hospitals in Ontario and the rest of Canada that uses parking fees as another way to make up for the fact that it is not receiving enough money from the provincial or federal government to cover the operating costs of hospitals.
We, as citizens, also have to remember that many of us have pressed governments for years to reduce progressing taxes like those on income, and that reduces the amount of revenue they take in to pay for health care, education and other services.
Then, to make up for the revenue losses, public bodies come in with user fees for parking and other services, only to have many of the same people who demanded tax cuts complaining about those.
In other words, as much as we continue to have our issues here with the Niagara Health System, this is not a black and white issue, and there is more than one party to point the finger at.)
Niagara, Ontario – Beginning this Friday, September 30th,, our patients and visitors will notice we’ve made some additions to the parking options in the gated lots at our Niagara Falls, St. Catharines and Welland sites.
In line with the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care’s new directive, we’ve now added multi-day H PASS parking packages that offer discounted daily rates to frequent visitors. The H PASS is a preloaded card available for 5, 10 or 30 uses and is valid for one year from the date of activation.
“We are always looking for new ways to improve and make our services more convenient for our patients and visitors,” says Angela Zangari, Niagara Health Executive Vice President Finance, Operations and CFO. “We know many people visit our sites multiple times a year and we hope the discounted H PASS option will help give frequent patients and visitors a positive experience.”
H PASS cards features:
- Unlimited in-and-out privileges within a 24-hour time period;
- Transferrable between patients, visitors and their vehicles;
- Valid for consecutive and non-consecutive days;
- Can be used in any parking lot open to patients and visitors;
- Valid for one calendar year from date of purchase;
Most of our parking rates were already consistent with the new provincial guidelines and our daily and monthly passes remain unchanged. Now that the H PASS packages are available, we will no longer be offering weekly passes.
Please see the attached information sheet for a detailed breakdown of our parking rates.
Parking revenue is directed to our annual operating budget. 70 per cent goes directly to patient care, funding our programs, services and equipment. This money has been used to purchase an ultrasound machine, IV pumps and cardiac monitors, among other items. The remaining 30 per cent of parking revenue goes toward the management and operation of the parking lots. A third of our parking revenue is generated from our staff and physicians.
Updated September 30, 2016
PARKING INFORMATION SHEET
New multi-day packages provide frequent patients and visitors to our gated sites (Niagara Falls, St. Catharines and Welland) with a discounted rate for multi-use as per new provincial guidelines. Our Our parking rates are as follows:
- $3.00 per ½ hour
- $6.00 per 1½ hours
- $8 for up to 12 hours (no in/out privileges)
- $16.00 Day Pass (in/out privileges)
- $80.00 Month Pass (31 consecutive days)
You can purchase and pay for tickets, daily and monthly passes at the machines or at the parking office located in Lot B of the St. Catharines Site.
There is an hourly charge consistent with our rates above up to a maximum of $10. Please pay at the machines and display the ticket on your dashboard.
New multi-day packages:
- $40 for a 5 Day H Pass (in/out privileges)
- $70 for a 10 Day H Pass (in/out privileges)
- $180 for a 30 Day H Pass (in/out privileges)
- Unlimited in-and-out privileges over a 24-hour period
- Transferable between patients, visitors and vehicles
- Valid for consecutive or non-consecutive days
- Can be used in any parking facility open to patients and their visitors
- Valid for one calendar year from the date of purchase
Multi-day packages can be purchased at the Cashier Offices at Niagara Falls and Welland and the Parking Office at St. Catharines during regular business hours.
PLEASE JOIN THE CONVERSATION BELOW – Niagara At Large encourages you to join the conversation by sharing your views on this post in the space following the Bernie quote below. A reminder that we only post comments by individuals who share their first and last name with them.