“Destruction of endangered species habitat and important historical items will be happening soon at Waverly Woods. I know we are all heart-broken. But things are about to get worse for all of Ontario if Bill 23 passes on Monday November 28.” – Marcie Jacklin, a Fort Erie, Niagara resident and a champion for saving Waverly Woods along the Lake Erie shores
A Call-Out for Citizens to Rise Up Against Bill 23 from Marcie Jacklin
Posted November 23rd, 2022 on Niagara At Large
Destruction of endangered species habitat and important historical items will be happening soon at Waverly Woods. I know we are all heart-broken. But things are about to get worse for all of Ontario if Bill 23 passes on Monday November 28.
This Bill has been designed by the development community.
- It will not address the shortage of affordable housing. It will facilitate expensive urban sprawl into farmland and environmental areas.
- It will undermine the protection of wetlands, woodlands, rivers, streams and wildlife habitat.
- It will destroy key land use planning processes that Ontario municipalities, and conservation authorities need to protect, mange and plan for climate change.
- It will download the cost of development to the residents of Ontario resulting in higher taxes.
- It will download the cost of climate change as a result of increased flooding to residents. Insurance companies will not be able to provide coverage for flood events among other things.
- It will increase pollution which will result in more health issues.
- It will result in higher food prices as quality farm land disappears.
- There is no reason for Bill 23 other than to make rich developers richer.
Please attend the Rally at Niagara Region tomorrow Thursday November 24 at 9 am if you can.
It is also very important for you to email the following people –
David Piccini, Minister of Environment Conservation and Parks: firstname.lastname@example.org
Then cc (see below) all the key members of the legislature. (I have copied all the emails here so you can just copy and paste):
email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, JBurch-QP@ndp.on.ca, JStevens-QP@ndp.on.ca, JStevens-QP@ndp.on.ca, SShaw-QP@ndp.on.ca, WGates-CO@ndp.on.ca, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, Sam.Oosterhoff@pc.ola.org
CC: Premier Doug Ford email@example.com
Minister of Natural Resources and Forestry firstname.lastname@example.org
Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing email@example.com
NDP Interim Leader Peter Tabuns: firstname.lastname@example.org
NDP MPP Niagara Centre, Caucus Chair Municipal Affairs, Jeff Burch: JBurch-QP@ndp.on.ca
NDP MPP St. Catharines, Jennie Stevens: JStevens-QP@ndp.on.ca
NDP Critic Environment, Conservation and Parks, Sandy Shaw: SShaw-QP@ndp.on.ca
NDP MPP Niagara Falls, Wayne Gates: WGates-CO@ndp.on.ca
Liberal Interim Leader, John Fraser: email@example.com
Liberal Critic for Environment, Conservation and Parks, Mary-Margaret McMahon, firstname.lastname@example.org
Liberal Critic for Municipal Affairs and Housing, Stephen Blais, email@example.com
Green Party Leader, Mike Schreiner: firstname.lastname@example.org
Conservative MPP Niagara West, Sam Oosterhoff: Sam.Oosterhoff@pc.ola.org