“Fill that seat! Fill that seat! Fill that seat!” – a chant from the masses at a Trump rally on September 19th, not 24 hours after the death of U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg
A Commentary by Niagara At Large reporter and publisher Doug Draper
Posted September 21st, 2020 on Niagara At Large
Trump’s cult-like band of worshipers – many of them evangelical Christians – could not seem to wait for 24 hours following the death of the great U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg before pressing to have her seat filled with a judge, singularly bent on saving fetus at any cost to anything or anyone else.
The late American satirist and social critic George Carlin could not have been more right about these single-issue fanatics when he put it this way –
“Boy, these conservatives are really something, aren’t they? They’re all in favour of the unborn. They will do anything for the unborn. But once you’re born, you’re on your own,” said Carlin.
“Pro-life conservatives are obsessed with the fetus from conception to nine months,” Carlin continued. “After that, they don’t want to know about you. They don’t want to hear from you. No nothing. No neonatal care, no day care, no head start, no school lunch, no food stamps, no welfare, no nothing. If you’re preborn, you’re fine; if you’re preschool, you’re f***ed.”
So here they have a president in Trump who – among many other things –
- was literally caught bragging on tape about grabbing women in their private “whatever”;
- has children torn from their mothers’ arms and put in cages;
- has responded to virtually every mass shooting with another full-throated show of support for the gun lobby;
- has called soldiers who fought and died in service to their country “losers” and “suckers” and who doesn’t want any wounded veterans appearing in military parades because, “nobody wants to see that”
- is fighting in the courts, even during a pandemic when many thousands of Americans are calling sick to COVID-19, to repeal affordable health care for millions of Americans;
- and is continuing to mock mas-wearing and social distancing, and continues to play down the seriousness of the COVID-19 pandemic, even after recommending that people ingest housecleaning fluids to combat it, while the COVID death count in his country is now 200,000 and counting.
And all of that is okay with these right-wing, holy people, just so long as he gets than another anti-abortion judge on the Supreme Court.
And Now, just watch this, by clicking on the screen immediately below, at a Trump rally in America’s so-called Bible Belt, less than 24 hours after the world found out about the death of the great Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg –
So here we go in America, back to the days of making all abortions, regardless of the circumstances, illegal, with possible life or death sentences for any woman or doctor caught in the act.
What’s next? Burning witches at the stake? But only if the ‘dear leader’ gets a chance to grab their “whatever” first.
In a country where Trump once bragged that he could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue in broad daylight and get away with it, I have come to the conclusion that for these holier than thou people, almost anything is fine – just so long as they get another anti-abortion judge on the Supreme Court.
And here is one final message I would want to leave with everyone from these self-anointed moral crusaders to members of the mainstream media.
Stop calling this a “right to life” movement!
A real right to life movement stands up for the life of all life on this planet, right through to life’s end. And one religious leader who fits this category is the Pope of the Catholic Church, who consistently speaks for the sanctity of all life on this planet, from beginning to end.
And yet evangelical types like to call the Pope a “false prophet.” I am not a Catholic but that makes absolutely no sense to me.
Instead of pointing the wrath of their self-righteousness and whatever personal problems they have at everyone else, perhaps these so-called holy people might try doing the decent thing and take time out to honour the life of Ruth Bader Ginsburg, for even just a few days after her passing.
Instead, they coming off as if they can’t wait to start dancing on her grave.
God help them!
NIAGARA AT LARGE Encourages You To Join The Conversation By Sharing Your Views On This Post In The Space Following The Bernie Sanders Quote Below.