Province Approves Construction of New Joint Elementary School in Wainfleet to Strengthen Student Learning and Increase Access to Child Care
News from the Constituency Office of Niagara West Ford Government MPP Sam Oosterhoff
Posted July 23rd, 2020 on Niagara At Large
The Ontario government announced (this July 23rd) it is investing over $500 million to build 30 new schools and make upgrades to 15 existing facilities.
The province has given the District School Board of Niagara and the Niagara Catholic District School Board approvals for a new Joint Elementary School in Wainfleet.
The investment will provide a new, quality learning environment for the students of Wainfleet, as well as new child care rooms. This project is part of the province’s capital investment program to support students with better learning spaces.
“The funding for this new joint elementary school is great news for our community,” said Sam Oosterhoff, MPP for Niagara West. “This investment will provide a quality learning environment and new opportunities for the children of Wainfleet.”
Ontario’s investment in new and updated schools will create the foundation for a modern learning environment for hundreds of students across the province. This investment will also generate nearly 900 new licensed child care spaces.
“From modernizing our curriculum to revitalizing our classrooms and their facilities, we are investing in our students and giving them every tool to achieve their full potential,” said Education Minister Stephen Lecce. “Our financing of the new joint Elementary School in Wainfleet further demonstrates our government’s historic investment in Ontario’s schools and our overall commitment to supporting our students and families.”
Highlights of the new school construction include:
- Total 587 elementary student spaces
- The new joint school will support the consolidation of the District School Board of Niagara’s William E. Brown PS and Winger PS and the replacement of the existing St. Elizabeth Catholic Elementary School for the Niagara Catholic District School Board
District School Board of Niagara: unnamed Wainfleet elementary school
- 69 new elementary student spaces.
- 49 new licensed child care spaces.
- 3 new child care rooms.
Niagara Catholic District School Board: St. Elizabeth Catholic Elementary School
- 118 new elementary student spaces
• The Ford Government is protecting what matters most by working with school board partners to invest in capital projects that advance student learning.
• To create new opportunities for Ontario’s families, the government is investing up to $1 billion to create up to 30,000 new child care spaces in schools over the next five years.
• The Ford Government announced in Budget 2019 that over the next ten years, Ontario is investing over $12 billion in capital grants, including allocating over $500M this year alone for new schools, additions and major renovations.
• This massive investment will build new schools and help existing schools after a decade of Liberal closures and maintenance backlog.
• Ontario is also providing school boards with a historic $1.4 billion in funding to renew and maintain existing schools.
• This funding could be used to replace aging heating or air conditioning systems, repair roofs and windows, and install important accessibility features like elevators and ramps.
NIAGARA AT LARGE encourages you to join the conversation by sharing your views on this post in the space following the Bernie Sanders quote below.