“As the Conservative Government of Ontario failed to cooperate with the federal government with respect to much needed infrastructure funding, expected to be delivered under the bilateral agreement signed over a year and a half ago, our local partners needed a mechanism to get projects out the door in time for the 2019 constructions season. We needed to, once again, step up to the plate and lead by example.” – Vance Badawey, Member of Parliament for Niagara Centre
A News Release from the Constituency Office of Niagara Centre Liberal MP Vance Badawey
Posted August 16th, 2019 on Niagara At Large
Welland, Ontario – Doug Ford is delaying infrastructure funding to Ontario’s municipalities. The federal government stepped up. Our government has doubled its commitment to fund infrastructure projects, with the Municipal Gas Tax Fund. We won’t abandon towns and cities. Let’s get shovels in the ground.
Niagara Centre has received its first installment of the annual federal Gas Tax Fund (GTF), along with the top-up announced through Budget 2019, to support infrastructure projects in communities across the province.
The top-up doubles the amount of money for Ontario communities, based on their allocations for the 2018-19 GTF transfer, enabling them to carry out infrastructure projects that support the well-being of their residents.
Welland’s top-up, thanks to our federal government, is $1.6-million, totalling $3.2-million; Port Colborne $586,822, totalling $1,173,644; Thorold $571,119, totalling $1,142,238; St. Catharines $4.2-million, totalling $8.4-million; Niagara Region total: $13.7-million, totalling $27.4-million.
Modern and effective infrastructure helps promote economic growth, strengthen the middle class and develop healthy sustainable communities. That is why the Government of Canada has renewed its commitment to communities through the federal Gas Tax Fund, delivering much needed support for their local priorities.
“This flexible and long-term infrastructure funding will greatly benefit the towns and cities of Niagara Centre. Investments under the federal Gas Tax Fund help stimulate economic growth and make our community more environmentally sustainable.
By working with all levels of government to renew our nation’s public infrastructure, our government is making significant progress and delivering concrete results for all Canadians.
- * The federal Gas Tax Fund delivers more than $2 billion every year to over 3,600 communities across the country. In recent years the funding has supported 4,000 projects each year.
- * To help address the short-term infrastructure priorities of municipalities and Indigenous communities, Budget 2019 includes a top-up of $2.2 billion to the federal Gas Tax Fund.
- * The GTF is flexible in allowing municipalities, local governments and First Nations communities to apply funding to their most pressing local needs. Communities can invest across 18 different project categories, including recreation, water systems and roads. They can also use the funds immediately for priority projects, bank them for later use, pool the dollars with other communities for shared infrastructure projects, or use them to finance major infrastructure expenditures.
- * Through its Investing in Canada plan, the Government of Canada is investing more than $180 billion over 12 years in public transit projects, green infrastructure, social infrastructure, trade and transportation routes, and Canada’s rural and northern communities.
- * The plan includes more than $92 billion for permanent funding such as the Gas Tax Fund and more than $95 billion in new funding for infrastructure programs.
- * To date, more than 48,000 projects have been approved under the plan and the majority of these projects are either underway, or already completedAssociated Links
- * Budget 2019, Investing in the Middle Class: https://www.budget.gc.ca/2019/home-accueil-en.html
- * Investing in Canada, Canada’s long-term infrastructure plan: http://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/plan/icp-publication-pic-eng.html
- * The federal Gas Tax Fund: http://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/plan/gtf-fte-eng.html
NIAGARA AT LARGE encourages you to join the conversation by sharing your views on this post in the space following the Bernie Sanders quote below.
A reminder that we only post comments by individuals who also share their first and last names.
For more news and commentary from Niagara At Large – an independent, alternative voice for our greater bi-national Niagara region – become a regular visitor and subscriber to NAL at http://www.niagaraatlarge.com .
“A politician thinks of the next election. a leader thinks of the next generation.” – Bernie Sanders