‘For weeks, Doug Ford has promised to come clean on his plan to cut more than $6 billion from the services people count on with a fully-costed platform. … Now, with the election just a few days away, he still hasn’t.’
A News Release from Ontario’s New Democratic Party
Posted June 2nd, 2018 on Niagara At Large
On Wednesday (May 29th), Doug Ford’s Conservatives posted an un-costed excuse for a plan online – and with no platform, Ford is still hiding where his cuts will hit.
For weeks, Doug Ford has promised to come clean on his plan to cut more than $6 billion from the services people count on with a fully-costed platform.
But with eight days to go before the election, Ford’s un-costed list of things he might do doesn’t comfort those worried about hospital closures, teacher layoffs and service rollbacks.
Ontario does know, however, that his plan:
- Leaves seniors waiting for long-term care spaces because the Conservatives don’t bother to fund their promise
- Gives the wealthy an $1,168 tax break while middle-class and low-income families receive just $18
- Does nothing to help students facing crushing debt, or to improve universities and colleges
- Provides not a single dollar to build and improve hospitals and health centres
- Cancels funding for the expansion of needed natural gas infrastructure in rural communities
- Endorses Kathleen Wynne’s hydro scheme, which will lead to a 70 per cent hike on people’s hydro bills
Also missing from Ford’s webpage is his promise to cancel increases to the minimum wage – a promise that will rip off minimum wage workers.
Ford’s un-costed excuse for a plan does not include a fiscal framework, or a timeline for balancing the provincial budget.
With no fiscal plan, and more than $6 billion in painful cuts promised, it’s no wonder more and more people are saying they Can’t Afford Ford.
NIAGARA AT LARGE encourages you to join the conversation by sharing your views on this post in the space following the Bernie Sanders quote below.
A reminder that we only post comments by individuals who also share their first and last names.
For more news and commentary from Niagara At Large – an independent, alternative voice for our greater binational Niagara region – become a regular visitor and subscriber to NAL at www.niagaraatlarge.com .
“A politician thinks of the next election. A leader thinks of the next generation.” – Bernie Sanders