“I wish I could give u better news. As bad as it seems, I’m sorry to tell you, it will be worse. We are a broken country at this point.”
By American activist and filmmaker Michael Moore, from his Facebook Page
Posted December 21st, 2016 on Niagara At Large
- Hello rest of the world! My fellow Americans are asleep right now so I thought we could talk privately and maybe I can explain what happened (this Monday, December 19th).
- Hillary Clinton won the election on Nov 8 by 2.8 million votes over Donald Trump. Which is to say, she lost. You are correct, this is not a democracy.
- Back in the 1700s, in order to get the slave states to join the USA, the founders gave those states “extra votes”, letting them count their slaves but not let them vote.
- So yes, it is ironic that this racist idea called the Electoral College has, 225 years later, ended up benefiting the candidate who spewed racist hate.
- Trump is not president until he’s given the oath of office at noon on Jan 20th. So we will continue to fight and hope to find a legal, nonviolent way to stop this madness.
- Ok, people are starting to wake up in the US. I wish I could give u better news. As bad as it seems, I’m sorry to tell you, it will be worse. We are a broken country at this point.
NIAGARA AT LARGE encourages you to join the conversation by sharing your views on this post in the space below the Bernie quote.
A reminder that we only post comments by individuals who also share their first and last names.
For more news and commentary from Niagara At Large – an independent, alternative voice for our greater binational Niagara region – become a regular visitor and subscriber to NAL at www.niagaraatlarge.com .