News from the Ontario Government
Posted August 24th, 2016 on Niagara At Large
Queen’s Park, Toronto – Driver licence fee increases come into effect this September to help maintain Ontario’s transportation infrastructure. Additional fees for reinstatements, replacements and commercial permits will follow effective January 1, 2017.
As of September 1, 2016:
- The Driver’s Licence Original and Renewal Fee, including the driver licensing fee as part of the Enhanced Driver Licence, will change from $81.50 to $90
- Vehicle Licence Validation in Northern Ontario will change from $54 to $60
- Vehicle Licence Validation in Southern Ontario will change from $108 to $120.
New fee changes effective January 1, 2017:
- The Driver’s Licence Reinstatement Fee after Suspensions and Administrative Monetary Penalty will change from $180 to $198
- Driving Instructors Licence Replacement will change from $28 to $31
- Oversize/Overweight (O/O) Permit Replacement will change from $28 to $31
- Original and Replacement Plate/Permit Fee for Manufacturer motor vehicle and motorcycle and dealer plate will change from $20 to $25
- Original and Replacement Plate/Permit Fee for Manufacturer motor vehicle and motorcycle and dealer permit will change from $10 to $32.
Updated fees help maintain the province’s transportation infrastructure and provide resources to help keep Ontario’s roads safe and are consistent with recommendations from the Auditor General of Ontario to achieve full cost recovery for delivery of services.
- Since 2003, Ontario has committed over $25 billion to design, repair and expand provincial highways and bridges across Ontario.
- There are more than 12 million vehicles registered in Ontario.
- Ontario is making the largest investment in public infrastructure in the province’s history — about $160 billion over 12 years, which is supporting 110,000 jobs each year across the province, with projects such as hospitals, schools, roads, bridges and transit.
Visit Niagara At Large at www.niagaraatlarge.com for more news and commentary for and from the greater bi-national Niagara region.
NOW IT IS YOUR TURN. Niagara At Large encourages you to share your views on this post in the space below the Bernie quote . A reminder that we only post comments by individuals who share their first and last name with them.